Thursday, September 13, 2018

Hong Kong Philharmonic – Jaap van Zweden, conductor; Joshua Bell, violin. September 8, 2018.


HK Cultural Centre Concert Hall.  Stalls 2 (Seat CC53, HK$10).

Program
Academic Festival Overture, Op. 80 by Brahms.
Violin Concerto in D monor, Op. 47 by Sibelius.
Symphony no. 41 in C, K. 551, Jupiter, by Mozart

I am spending a week in Hong Kong with the primary aim of attending a fund-raiser for Hope International’s Hong Kong office.  By checking the Urbtix website, I knew this concert was going to be on Friday (I arrived Friday) and Saturday.  Someone in one of the chats groups I am in had an extra ticket for Friday and wanted to give it away.  I added to the chat by saying I was hoping to catch Saturday’s performance.  Another group member, S, chimed in and said he was planning to go and would try to get me a ticket before I arrived in Hong Kong.  Turns out S is an avid supporter of the orchestra and managed to get me a complimentary ticket.  Well, not completely free as there was a nominal charge of HK$10 for the HK$880 ticket.

There was quite a bit of excitement in the chat group about the event.  The person that attended the Friday performance called it “very controlled.”  He also mentioned the encore was special.  I ventured to guess it was from “The Red Violin” as Bell did that in July at a Mostly Mozart Concert.  My preference is to go into a concert with no preconception, but in this case I didn’t mind.

The seat I had was excellent, just behind the main seating area of the orchestra section.  I wonder if that is the reason the orchestra seemed to have a bigger-than-usual dynamic range.  Or it could be that was van Zweden’s intention.  It worked very well for the Brahms piece.

I was quite disappointed at how the Jupiter was performed.  Sloppy would cover most of it.  It wasn’t botched enough that I didn’t enjoy it, but enough that the “mistakes” (in many case interpretative takes, no doubt) detracted from that enjoyment every now and then.  Instead of light and crisp, it was heavy and muddled.  I did catch how the different melodies were woven together.

It is easy to love the Sibelius Violin Concerto.  Every time I listen to it, I am impressed that it is both emotionally and technically challenging.  No doubt Joshua Bell can do both, but oftentimes not at the same time, and he didn’t do it tonight.  Technically he was flawless, and he certainly played with his heart.  But I ended up admiring his skills as a violinist more than an artist.  The audience loved it, though.  As expected, he played The Red Violin as an encore.  Perhaps this auditorium is more intimate, I like it a lot more than his David Geffen Hall performance.



 Curtain call after the Sibelius Violin Concerto.

S also attended the concert, and he offered to give me a ride back to the CWB apartment.

No comments: