Wednesday, December 23, 2020

92Y Online Concert - New York Philharmonic String Quartet. Viewed December 20, 2020.

Concert recorded December 17, 2020.  Part of the 10-concert subscription series.

Program
Schubert, Quartettsatz, D. 703 (1820).
Mendelssohn, Quartet No. 2 in A Minor, Op. 13 (1827).
Ravel, String Quartet.





The concert originally had Emanuel Ax appearing as well, a few weeks ago 92Y sent out an email announcing that Ax won't be on the program.  I was quite disappointed as I had always enjoyed Ax's musicianship.

Despite that, this program was thoroughly enjoyable.  From what I could tell, both the Mendelssohn and the Ravel pieces were not easy to pull off; they were performed brilliantly.

I was wondering why the first movement of Schubert was played (the "satz" in the title should have been a giveaway).  Turns out this was a quartet Schubert never completed.

It always amazes me how easy Schubert made key changes effortless, he seemed to be able to jump to any key he wanted with a few transitional notes.

I could find scores for all three pieces on the web, and followed along best I could.  This was my first listening of all three pieces, I am torn between just sitting back and enjoy versus not being able to follow where the music is going.  (The simple answer is to listen multiple times, but not practical in many instances.)

The movements of the other quartets are as follows.  Mendelssohn: Adagio-Allegro vivace; Adagio non lento; Intermezzo: Allegretto con moto-Allegro di molto; Presto-Adagio non lento.  Ravel: Allegro moderato-tres doux; Assez vif-tres rythme; Tres lent; Vif et agite.






No comments: