Thursday, October 11, 2018

Metropolitan Opera – Puccini’s La Fanciulla del West. October 8, 2018.


Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center  Orchestra (Seat AA11, $25).

Story.  See previous post.




Conductor – Marco Armiliato.  Jack Rance – Zeljko Lucic, Minnie – Maria Westbroek, Dick Johnson (Ramerrez) – Yusif Eyvazov.

I started this blog in April 2005, and my first entry was a review of this opera, performed by NYC Opera.  In the meantime, I have written about 586 different (mostly) concerts and operas, and this is the second time I saw this opera.  Not sure if any conclusions can be drawn; for now, just some interesting statistics. I do know there was more insight in my last review, though.

I remarked in 2005 that the NYCO set was more elaborate than the ones I had seen prior.  I still remember a windmill, and the sunrise (I had thought it was a sunset) Minnie and Dick walked into at the end of the show.  Tonight’s staging was a lot more complicated, which may explain why the two intermissions took so long (40 to 45 minutes) as the crew probably had to work at putting the sets together.

For Act 1 we have Minnie’s tavern.  It was huge: high ceiling with rafters and joists.  I don’t know what the backstage mechanism is at the Met, but can imagine how complex it must be to move the props on and off stage.  Minnie’s cabin in the mountains is depicted in Act 2, and there is this constant snow fall outside.  It is a wonder that none of the heavy snowfall spills into the orchestra.  Act 3 is “main street” with two rows of houses and a few gallows.  The noose looked real enough that I worried about an accident happening.  (I do hope they rehearse these scenes well.)

Despite the impressive staging, I don’t think I enjoyed it as much as the 2005 NYCO performance.  One could attribute this to my being a bit jaded after so many operas, but there were things I jotted down for that performance that I didn’t find as compelling tonight.

The scene that stood out for me was the card game played by Minnie and Jack Rance, with Dick Johnson’s life at stake.  Minnie cheated to win, but it was not as funny tonight.  I still (vaguely) remember how the cello’s sound enhanced the mood, but tonight the cello just sounded weak.  (I think the description “… pizzicatos in the lower strings suspend time …” is wrong.)  The other one was how Minnie appealed for Johnson’s life in Act 3. It was a gripping moment in 2005, tonight it didn’t particularly stand out.  Since I knew Minnie would make an entrance, so I looked for it, and tonight I got it.

For Act 1 I sat in my ticketed seat AA11 in the orchestra.  Generally this area has good acoustics, but I found the voices quite weak, perhaps due to the cavernous tavern on stage.  I took AA1 after the first intermission, it was better; the smaller cabin may have contributed to the improvement.  Chung Shu, Felicia, and John were sitting in the Grand Circle (free tickets provided by CS’s daughter), and there were empty seats around them.  For Act 3 I had a good seat in that section (center, row D.)  There was no walking into the sunrise (or sunset, for that matter) at the end of the story.

The cast is nearly all men.  The only women are Minnie and Wowkle.

A couple more unrelated remarks.  One, I remembered this Lady M mentioned several times in the opera, but forget again her name after a couple of days.  Two, it is a bit strange to see an American “western” sung in Italian.

The New York Times review is generally positive, but not effusive.  The reviewer wants an updated staging to reflect today’s values; on that point, I am not sure I agree.  Wowkle is described as "the squaw of a Red Indian" in Wikipedia, perhaps one reason why the reviewer calls the opera "awash with ... casual racism."

I had the evening free and decided to get a rush ticket for this opera.  Anne didn’t want to go, so I went by myself.  I drove in as the train schedule would mean arrival at home after 1 am.  Dinner was a sandwich in the Rubenstein Atrium.  It took about 90 minutes to get into town, and I had to take Holland Tunnel back home as the usual entrance to Lincoln Tunnel was closed due to construction.

No comments: