Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra – Jeffrey Kahane, conductor and piano. August 12, 2016.

David Geffen Hall at Lincoln Center.  Orchestra Center (Seat S103, $50.)

Program – All-Mozart
Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K. 467 (1785).
Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor, K. 491 (1786).
Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat major, K. 482 (1785).

Despite the 1785 and 1786 dates, these piano concertos were written within a year: spring 1785 to spring 1786.  The Snapshot section in the Playbill describes them as “widely varied in their overall character, from the cheerful, bustling C major, K. 467, to the searching, even desolate C minor, K. 491, to the majestic E-flat major, K. 482.”

As I resume writing this entry on August 17, my original assessment that this didn’t leave a lasting impression is confirmed.  I recall No. 21 as being quite familiar (how can it not be, with the well-known slow movement), and being quite surprised how unfamiliar I was with 24 and 22.  To use my old cliché about my not being able to tell a good from a great Mozart performance, I must say this definitely wasn’t in the “great” category.  What I heard from Richard Goode at the last concert was definitely much better in comparison.

Kahane’s lines were simply unsatisfactory to my ears.  The phrasing wasn’t smooth, and he used too much pedal – Anne called it fuzzy playing (she used a Chinese colloquial term which means “unclear.”)  Perhaps he should concentrate on the piano instead of also trying to lead the orchestra?  The cadenzas were his own compositions.

At conclusion of tonight's concert.

The movements of No. 21 are Allegro maestoso, Andante, and Allegro vivace assai; for No. 24, Allegro, Larghetto, and Allegretto; for No. 22, Allegro, Andante, and Allegro.

I have a playlist of Mozart's works that I listen to on these long flights I take, with the hope that the soothing music will help me get some sleep.  That sometimes works.  Tonight reminded me of such a playlist, although I must say I stayed awake the whole time.  But there were times I was asking myself where things were.


Our son and family were visiting, so we took a late afternoon train to get to Lincoln Center.  My using an old train schedule, and that Penn Station was congested meant we had to buy a couple of sandwiches and eat on the subway.  CS was there with a couple of his friends, and he gave us a ride back to NJ.

No comments: