Tuesday, June 14, 2016

New Jersey Symphony Orchestra – Jacques Lacombe, conductor; Joyce Yang, piano. June 11, 2016.


Count Basie Theater, Red Bank, NJ.  Balcony (Seat E102, $37.60).



Program

Night and the City (2010) by Rogerson (b. 1988).

Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30 (1909) by Rachmaninoff.

La Valse (1920) by Ravel (1875-1937).

Daphnis and Chloe Suite No. 2 (1912) by Ravel.



This is the farewell series led by Lacombe after a six-year stint with the NJSO.  Coupled with Joyce Yang playing Rachmaninoff’s piano concerto No. 3, one would think this is a concert not to be missed.  Leave it to New Jersey to have many empty seats in the small Count Basie Theater.  If one’s expectations are low, then that there were more in attendance today than usual is an encouraging sign.  One of the trustees came on to thank Lacombe (after thanking the sponsors) for taking NJSO to new heights; a statement I would generally agree with, and I have said multiple times the orchestra plays well under him.



The six-minute lead-off piece is by the young composer Chris Rogerson.  The piece describes his first experience living in a big city (Philadelphia).  As new music goes, I liked it very much.  It is quite sonorous, and describes a scene that somehow reminds me more of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” than a busy Philly evening.  He is young (not yet 30) so should have a lot of time to improve his craft.  He came on stage at the end of the piece to take a bow.



I haven’t encountered Rachmaninoff’s Third that often in concert, but have heard it over my iPhone multiple times during some of the long flights I have taken.  Perhaps there is a reason it is not played that often, it is close to 40 minutes of non-stop virtuosic playing, with a break only here or there.  Joyce Yang burst onto the music scene a few years ago as a young woman, so I was looking forward to this first opportunity to hear her perform.



Overall I was disappointed.  Even when the first piano notes were played, I was surprised at how loud it was compared to the sound of the orchestra.  My usually complaint is the soloist gets overwhelmed, in this case it is the opposite.  With a few exceptions, the orchestra seemed to be whimpering along, afraid of intruding on the soloist.  While much of this might be attributable to the acoustics, but I don’t recall having this concern ever inside Count Basie.



I can’t comment on Yang’s technique, and am indeed very impressed with what I saw.  My major issue is the performance seemed to be simply stringing together a long series of difficult passages, there is no story, no conversation, and no engagement.  Impressive for most 25-year old pianists, but not quite at the level of a master.  (Yang was born in 1986.)  In any case, the applause afterwards was thunderous.



The three movements of the concerto are Allegro ma non tanto; Intermezzo: Adagio; and Finale: Alla breve.



We heard two Ravel pieces after the intermission.  By now I knew how La Valse started as waltz but devolved into rather dark music to reflect Ravel’s disappointment with humanity – this was a couple of years before the first world war.  Daphnis and Chloe was a ballet score Ravel written in cooperation with Sergei Diaghilev.  Suite No. 2 consists of three movements Lever du jour, Pantomine, and Danse generale.  They make up the final scene of the ballet where Daphnis and Chloe are united, and they mime the story of Pan and Syrinx, followed by a celebration of their love.  Both pieces are easy to get, although tonight I didn’t think La Valse sounded all that dark.  I gained some appreciation of how Ravel could use music to depict specific scenes (like sunrise and birds chirping.)



So that’s it, end of an era.  I was hoping Lacombe’s tenure would end on a higher note, he deserved it.  While I am generally impressed with how he brought high standards to the orchestra, I do feel things have plateaued for a while.  Where will Xian Zhang take this organization in the coming years?

No comments: