Saturday, March 28, 2015

Metropolitan Opera – Massenet’s Manon. March 25, 2015.

Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center, Balcony (Seat B121, $104.50.)

Story.  See previous blog.  I would add Manon was only 16 when she was introduced in this opera.

Conductor – Emmanuel Villaume; Guillot de Mortontaine – Christopher Mortagne, de Bretigny – Dwayne Croft, Lescaut – Michael Todd Simpson, Manon Lescaut – Diana Damrau, Chevalier des Grieux – Vittorio Grigolo,  Count des Grieux – Nicolas Teste.

We last saw this opera in 2010, in Australia, and once at the Met before my blogging days, so it wasn’t in my original season subscription. With our travels – some last minute, unscheduled – we ended up getting tickets for this show.  I was quite okay to do it again since Damrau and Grigolo are playing the lead.

Let me first say this was an enjoyable performance.  We have heard Damrau several times before and admired her singing.  She seemed to be holding back a bit during the beginning acts, but her singing improved as the performance went on.  In the Playbill she talks about the need to conserve her voice for the more challenging arias in the later acts.  Indeed she managed to sound fresh for the more demanding passages towards the end.  My only prior exposure to Grigolo was a Youtube video of him in a Salzburg Festival performance of La Traviata, opposite Anna Netrebko.  I was quite impressed with how well he did, although I attributed some of that to the engineering of the video.  He was equally impressive tonight, and he didn’t seem to need to hold anything back at the beginning.  Of course I cannot tell how difficult the two parts are relative to each other.  Others did quite well also – actually I don’t remember any weakness in the singing.  The trio of Mireille Asselin, Cecelia Hall and Maya Lahyani (as Posette, Javotte, and Rosette) was particularly entertaining, playing the role of gold-diggers very well.

The sets were perhaps a bit too clever.  For both the first and last acts small houses were “glued” onto other parts of the sets, probably in an attempt to portray the vastness of the town and the length of the road.  The end result was just strange.  The sets for the other three acts (Act 3 has two scenes) were more traditional.  The sets are quite large as they have to accommodate large choruses.  I find the Chapel St. Sulpice particularly impressive, with the many chairs that were set up in the sanctuary.

The chorus had quite a bit of singing to do and put in its usual competent renditions.  The orchestra played well, adding a lot to the mood as events took place on stage.  I wish I had caught more of the musical moments described in the Playbill; I suspect that would take multiple, careful meetings.

The story is still a bit sketchy in that lots of things “happen offstage.”  Having read the Program Notes (on the web) ahead of time, it made more sense today.  Still it was a bit difficult to sympathize with Manon even though she dies at the end.  Nonetheless, the death scene was better than I remembered it.  I called that scene “drawn out” in my writeup on the Opera Australia performance, I definitely didn’t feel that way tonight.

I found this performance more enjoyable than the Opera Australia one – and I enjoyed that one also.  Many factors contributed to this evaluation, and I am sure the singing is at the top of the list.  I do wish there are more singable tunes, though.

The New YorkTimes review characterizes this revival as “sensational.”  The reviewer attributes what I call Damrau's improvement during the show to the maturing of the character.  In any case, this is one of the more easily enjoyable operas this season, and it is both troubling and puzzling the number of empty seats today.  An interesting fact, Nicolas Teste (playing Count des Grieux) is Damrau's husband.


We stopped by Jersey City to spend some time with Reid before we headed to the city.  Dinner was purchased at Anne’s “favorite” street vendor.  On our way back, our GPS routed us through Holland Tunnel.  It is good we took the route as there was a detour at the Lincoln Tunnel helix.

No comments: