Monday, May 05, 2014

Bach Festival Day 1, The Bach Choir of Bethlehem, Greg Funfgeld, conductor. May 2, 2014.

Events attended (all at Lehigh University):
Distinguished Scholar Lecture – Michael Marissen, Black Box Theater, Zoellner Arts Center (free).
Bach Cantatas, Packer Memorial Church (Lower Transept Seat LL11, $29).
Dinner and Discussion, Asa Packer Room, University Center – Lecture by Larry Lipkis ($35).

Soloists
Cantata BWV 106 – Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit.  Agnes Zsigovics - soprano, Daniel Taylor – Countertenor, Benjamin Butterfield – tenor, William Sharp, baritone.
Cantata BWV 56 – Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne tragen.  Daniel Lichti, bass-baritone.
Cantata BWV 131 – Aus der Tiefen rufe ich, Herr zu dir. Zsigovics, Taylor & Butterfield.

I wasn’t planning on going to this event as I had a scheduled trip to Hong Kong.  Now that the HK trip is canceled, and I also ran into Dave and Vivien in Newark a few days ago, I decided to go.  Bethlehem is about 80 miles away, but it is mostly highway traffic, so my plan was to get there for the entire day’s program and come home after the evening concert.  I was coming down with a cold and didn’t feel that great, so I decided to leave after the dinner talk, forgoing the evening concert for which I got a ticket.

It is always interesting to go to these events with David.  He has a genuine interest and detailed knowledge in Bach, and I always learn something from him.  (He is the same person I go to these Princeton chamber music concerts during the summer.)  And today was no exception.  To him and to the many who take the Bach Festival seriously, I say good on you folks.  For me learning a thing or two about the composer every couple of years is enough.

My deepest “insight” this year is Bach for me is more fun to analyze than to listen to.  It is amazing that the composer can get many lines going contrapuntally.  I can understand and appreciate this on paper, but frankly I have a hard time tracking more than 3 lines at the same time, even with the music in front of me.  If I am listening to it without the music score, it is worse.  While I was in college I was considered one with a rather good ear (among students majoring in music), so I really doubt I am particularly bad at this compared to your average Bach listener.

Dave relayed a story about how Mozart looked at 8 individual parts of a Bach composition and says “that makes sense.”  I can probably “get it” if I spend a lot of time reading, analyzing, and playing out the lines individually and at the same time.  (Indeed I did analyze a few cantatas during music composition classes.)  However, for now I shall adopt the “if I don’t know what it is, I may not care I miss it” attitude.

I got to the lecture by Marissen late (there was a tie-up on Route 287).  It took me a while to grasp what he was trying to say.  I believe it has to do with how one can interpret Bach’s cantata in a secular way or a religious way.  I have decided not to challenge him or agree with him (it will be in my mind in either case, I had no intention of talking to him in person.)  Dave says he is generally a great speaker.

The soloists are the same as two years ago (I think they are permanent staff).  Generally the singing is good.  I was reminded by Dave that in Bach’s day boys sang the part of the soprano and countertenors sang alto.

Somehow I get the feeling that the audience is not really going to these concerts with the mind of a critic; they are there to get another few cantatas under the belt.  Which is okay with me.  Bach left behind over 200 cantatas (guess who my source is) so at six a year that will take them quite a while.

The talk during dinner by Lipkis was more interesting.  It was more like a pre-concert talk as he talked about each of the evening concert cantatas in some detail.  I joked to Dave that he made it so interesting that I wanted to stay, particularly since the evening cantatas deploy a larger choir and more orchestra instruments.   I didn’t stay as I don’t know if I could hold out for that long.

This was the 107th festival.  They were offering discounts of up to 40% on their tickets, which is not a good sign.  While I am not crazy about it, I don’t mind a heavy dosage of Bach every year or so.


This was an abbreviated trip, but I did learn something, and got to visit again with old friends.  It was a good trip.  I read over my notes from the first festival I attended (2012,) and find to my surprise I am much more positive this year.

No comments: