Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Vienna Philharmonic - Andres Orozco-Estrada, conductor; Rainer Honeck, violin. November 5, 2012.

Golden Hall at Musikverein, Vienna, Austra.  Seat Orchestra 1 (E46).

Program: A concert of the Society of the Friends of Music in Vienna
Overture in G major by Luigi Cherubini.
Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by Stranvinsky
Symphony No. 4, C minor, D 417 ("Tragic") by Schubert

We are in Vienna with our friends David & Ruby, whom we have known since our college days.  One should never visit Vienna without going to a concert, so here we are.  The big names are of course the Vienna Philharmonic and the State Opera.  The State Opera has tickets only in the E250 range, which is a bit too much for us.  When I found out we could get contiguous seats at E46 each, I got them right away.  Notice the seats don’t have a row number.  We found out they are actually a few chairs they put out on the side, right behind the violas, right next to the cellos, and right in front of the basses.  Anne and I just had to make sure to suppress the cough we had, and good thing we did.

The acoustics of the hall isn’t quite up to what I recall of Tonhalle in Zurich, but certainly quite adequate, perhaps because we are so close to the players.  The first violins, quite far from us, were quite easy to hear.  On the other hand, I had trouble hearing the violas, which were right in front of us.  For some reason, my ears are simply not tuned to its pitch range and its timbre.

Riccardo Muti was supposed to be the conductor, but he had to withdraw because of illness.  Andres Orozco-Estrada, a young conductor of another of the many orchestras in Vienna, stepped in.  Since I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the original program, I am not completely certain (but quite sure) that the program was changed.  Similarly, the solo violinist is the Orchestra’s concertmaster; and I am sure he wasn’t the originally-scheduled soloist.

Luigi Cherubini (1760-1842) was an Italian composer who spent most of his time in France.  I had never heard of him before, and thought his music sounded quite baroque.

The Stravinsky violin concerto was a first-time listen also.  It is quite long at about 30 minutes, not extremely difficult as far as I could tell.  On the other hand, it is easy to like, and I am sure I will enjoy it more as (if) I get to know it better.  There are some interesting effects.  For example, by having the piccolo doubling the violin, it sounds like harmonics are being used.  The solo violin’s sound was quite good, but didn’t project as well as I would like.

I am still not sure if I have heard the Schubert piece before - I do have that on my iPod.  Nonetheless, in one regard it is very Schubertian: the themes get used so many times that by the end the piece simply sounded very familiar.  The sound of the orchestra was crisp, and dynamics was great.

These last minute substitutions sometimes can make an artist.  Orozco-Estrada is a young man (may be early 30s?) and did a credible job.  I am not sure this event would make him, though.

One other surprising thing about the concert hall is how worn things look and how small the stage is.  The orchestra for tonight wasn’t particularly large, but there was not much spare room on stage.  The conductor’s dais is pushed all the way to the edge, and it is a good thing there is support behind him.  The wood of the stage could use a new coat of varnish, a long time ago.

Finally, we noticed that some double basses have 5 strings.  Need to do some research on that.

All said and done, we were all happy that we could see this event.

No comments: