Monday, May 07, 2012

Bach Festival Day 2, Bach Partitas for Harpsichord, Charlotte Mattax Moersch. May 5, 2012.


Peter Hall at Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA (Open Seating, $27).

Program: Bach and the Art of the Dance
Partita I in B Flat Major, BWV 825.
Partita V in G Major, BWV 829.
Partita III in A Minor, BWV 827.
Partita IV in D Major, BWV 828.

My expectations were quite low for this concert, for several reasons.  One is I am not a fan of the harpsichord, two is (should be obvious by now) I am not crazy about Bach, and three, yesterday’s experience wasn’t the greatest.  Yet the program held for me some surprises.

The smallish audience (perhaps around 100 people) and the ambience of Peter Hall helped.  They provided a level of intimacy one might expect of a harpsichord performance.  The Hall was recently renovated, with some nice restored stained glass window letting in a soft light into the room (there was also fluorescent lighting.)

Our friend David loves Bach, so he brought along an analysis of the five pieces that would be performed, with a lot of numbers on meter, length of piece, metronome markings (although metronomes were not around in Bach’s time), and duration.  When I first read it, I was dismayed at the duration of the two pieces that make up the second half of the program: they add up to close to an hour!   More on that later.

The harpsichord must have been state-of-the-art in its day.  Not being a mechanical engineer, I do not fully appreciate the genius that goes into the design of the instrument.  But things look complicated enough; to generate the different sounds the artist can make, many different contraptions are put in place, such as choirs and keyboards.  Even so, the instrument’s range is quite limited compared to what can be done with the modern piano.  People do play the same composition (including Bach’s Partitas) on both instruments, it would be nice to compare how they sound.  I also will have some more to say about this.

Charlotte Mattax Moersch teaches the instrument at the University of Illinois, and comes with great credentials per the Program (of course she would.)  My first reaction was, too bad she chose this as her instrument.  Surprisingly, the music actually grew on me as it went on.  Perhaps David’s analytical chart helped, and I also had fun trying to learn the different characteristics of the different dances (e.g., what makes something a sarabande), even though I learned little afterwards.

Moersch enunciated the different lines very well, and at times I found myself enjoying how they fit together.  So it was a pity that just at the point I was lost in the performance that she mangled her page turning and stumbled a bit.  After the first two pieces, David told us he was very excited to hear all the repeats Bach meant to have, and how we got the symmetry that Bach intended.  That remark kind of flew over my head (but wait, I have more to say.)

If one counts the time the pieces would total per David’s chart, and throws in a short break of ten minutes, you’ll get a program that lasts about two hours.  A lot of music for one sitting, probably bearable.  But the next event (lunch) would start two hours after this, and the emcee mentioned to the audience (and evidently the performer) that we will try to speed up the second part of the program.  Moersch did tell the audience she would try to do that, but that she could do only so much.  Turns out she could do a lot: she skipped most (if not all) of the repeats.  The 55 minutes of music got shortened to 35 or so minutes.  Given what I have said so far, this should be a welcome change.  But it isn’t.  I am sure she didn’t play at a quicker tempo (actually one of the correntes sounded slow), so not taking the repeats made the music felt rushed.  And things also didn’t feel right, possibly due to the lack of symmetry that David speaks of?

After my first day, I was wondering if I would get Bach-fatigue after these two days.  To my surprise, I didn’t.  I am not a convert yet, and I probably would decline another invitation to the next Bach festival (other than to be nice), but I certainly won’t mind a dose of this composer every now and then.  That was suspiciously like the sentiments I expressed after watching the Ring operas in Seattle.

In any case, we were among the many that lingered a little bit afterwards taking in the instrument and the room.  We (Yees, Wangs, and we) went to lunch at Bethlehem Brewery.  Reasonably priced dishes that tasted quite good: I had the BBQ ribs marinated in local beer.  Indeed there are lots of different cuisines represented by the Main Street restaurants: Irish, Spanish, Thai, and what I imagine are German.

On our drive back to New Jersey, we played Partita IV on my iPhone, by Glenn Gould.  Hearing it played on the piano is very different from hearing it on the harpsichord.  I did find myself wondering, Bach must have written this piece with the capabilities and limitations of the harpsichord in mind, what would he think of Gould’s performance?  Ah, the early makings of a musicologist and music historian.

A word about the Bach festival.  If it is meant to showcase the Choir and the Orchestra, they really should work harder at improving the quality of their musicianship.  If it is meant to celebrate Bach and his compositions, they could cut down on their own programs and substitute outside artists and groups.

No comments: